Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Skijoring Loppet 2009

The City of Lakes Loppet was this weekend and I photographed several of the races. These images are from the Skijoring Loppet. Skijoring is a relatively new and rapidly growing sport combining cross country skiing and dog sledding. I used a photography technique called panning to get these images...

Skijoring Loppet 8792

Getting the skier and the dog in the same frame was a challenge...

Skijoring Loppet 8796

because sometimes they were moving at different speeds...

Skijoring Loppet 8800

My personal favorite. These two were going the same speed, FAST...

Skijoring Loppet 8815

Slow and steady wins the race...

Skijoring Loppet 8855

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics, I had no idea that was going on or I would have went down to the chain after checking out the Art Shanties.

airplane5312 said...

Great shots. You got that panning down. I've tried but always end up using too high shutter speeds because I'm afraid the moving subject will be blurred. I don't really note much blur if any on yours.

Bl@ck Coffee said...

@Conner - Thank you.

@Snapshutter - I've found 1/50 second to be a good speed for most panning. The slower you go the more dramatic. 1/30 is even better but more difficult to get keepers.

Pan with your hips not your arms. Keep your arms steady and turn with your hips instead.

www.castellon-3d.com said...

This won't actually have effect, I suppose like this.